From the capital of many ancient empires to the first educational city in Turkey and one of the most important tourist destinations in the world, Istanbul has become a preferred study destination for many international students worldwide in recent years. Istanbul boasts numerous prestigious universities that provide their students with an unforgettable academic experience. From charming tourist attractions to vibrant city life and exposure to a unique blend of cultures, studying in Istanbul is a dream for many international students. But does the language of instruction pose a barrier? This article will discuss language study in Istanbul universities, the most crucial study fields, and aspects of student life in Istanbul.
Student Life in Istanbul
Istanbul is one of the most welcoming Turkish cities for international students worldwide. It attracts international students to Istanbul to pursue various academic degrees (diplomas, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees) at its universities. Additionally, students from around the world come to Istanbul to study under student exchange programs with universities in Europe, the United States, South America, Asia, and Istanbul’s universities. Therefore, student life in Istanbul is enjoyable, exciting, and filled with opportunities to make friends and continuously explore new languages and cultures.
Aspects of student life in Istanbul include:
- Participating in extracurricular activities and pursuing favorite hobbies within Istanbul’s universities.
- Engaging in sports and physical fitness activities as universities in Istanbul provide sports facilities and fitness centers. Each university has its own sports teams that participate in sports events organized among universities.
- Attending festivals and concerts is one of Istanbul’s most essential aspects of student life. Students can enjoy their time by attending popular festivals, music concerts, theatrical performances, and various art shows.
- Istanbul is known for its delicious cuisine, which must be sampled upon arrival. From the famous kebabs and Turkish delights to renowned Turkish pastries like börek.
- Unlike many other European and American cities, Istanbul offers affordable study and living costs. It is also a safe city with access to all the healthcare services international students may need.
- Visiting the city’s tourist attractions is one of the critical advantages of studying in Istanbul. Students can explore essential landmarks like the Galata Tower, ancient mosques like Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque, shopping in the Grand Bazaar, or enjoy a boat trip on the Bosphorus.
- Istanbul is a large city, but it is well-connected with an advanced transportation network, and students receive special discounts for its use.
Studying in Istanbul
There are more than 50 universities in Istanbul, many of which have international rankings and offer advanced study programs at reasonable tuition fees. Istanbul’s universities are known for adopting the latest educational technologies and attracting elite faculty members and specialists. This includes modern facilities, including classrooms, laboratories, and advanced research centers.
Furthermore, Istanbul’s universities provide professional training opportunities for their students within the university or in the business world. They also offer professional support and career counseling to help students acquire job-related skills. Istanbul’s universities have modern libraries that include all educational and research resources that students may need in print and electronic formats.
Language of Study in Istanbul Universities
Turkish is the primary language of instruction in many Istanbul universities, especially government universities. However, private Turkish universities offer many study programs in English, especially in medical, engineering, and technological fields.
If a student cannot prove their proficiency in the language of their chosen major through a language proficiency certificate, they can take a language proficiency test. In such cases, the student can attend a preparatory year to study the language, which Turkish universities offer.
Admission Requirements for Istanbul Universities
Admission requirements for Istanbul universities vary depending on the university and the field of study, but in general, we can divide the admission requirements for Istanbul universities into two categories:
Admission Requirements for Private Universities:
Private Turkish universities do not require complex tests or conditions for admission. Providing a high school diploma and a language proficiency certificate in the desired major’s language is usually sufficient. The student must pass a language test if a language proficiency certificate is unavailable. If the student cannot achieve the required score on the test, they must attend a preparatory year to study the language, which Turkish universities offer.
A high school diploma with a GPA of over 50%-60% is typically required for business, arts, or engineering majors. However, medical majors must have a GPA of at least 70%.
Admission Requirements for Government Universities:
Each government university sets its specific requirements and conducts its entrance exams for international students seeking bachelor’s or graduate degrees. These typically include passing the Turkish university entrance exam (YÖS) and meeting the minimum score requirements.
The Most Important Academic Programs in Private Universities in Istanbul
Private universities in Istanbul offer a wide range of advanced academic specializations in various fields, including medical, engineering, administrative, artistic, and many others. The most important academic specializations in private universities in Istanbul include:
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Business Administration
- International Trade
- Political Science
- Game Design
- Culinary Arts and Cooking
In conclusion, Istanbul offers a vibrant and diverse academic environment with numerous opportunities for international students to pursue their education. Whether studying in Turkish or English, students can benefit from Istanbul’s rich culture, history, and affordable living costs while receiving a high-quality education at its prestigious universities.