Engineering has always been an essential part of our lives, with many temples, pyramids, and planned cities being engineered by ancient civilizations. The Industrial Revolution further emphasized the importance of engineering and technological specializations, making them among the most sought-after fields globally in the age of technology. Studying engineering and technological programs in Turkey involves providing students with fundamental engineering subjects such as mathematics, computing, and engineering design. Graduates are equipped to employ diverse engineering materials to design and construct various structures, devices, and systems.
Engineering and technological programs in many Turkish universities
- Civil Engineering: it specializes in designing countries’ infrastructure, such as roads, bridges, tunnels, buildings, and sewage systems.
- Architecture: Focusing on architecture, construction, and the interior and exterior design of buildings.
- Mechanical Engineering: The study of forces and motion and the design and operation of engines and machinery.
- Industrial Engineering: Concerned with designing devices and machines and supervising various production and manufacturing processes.
- Computer Engineering: Focusing on the development of computer hardware and software.
- Electrical Engineering: Specializing in designing and operating electrical devices and systems.
- Biomedical Engineering: Focusing on applying engineering to biological and medical sciences to improve healthcare systems and develop medical equipment.
Turkish Universities also offer other engineering programs, such as:
- Petroleum Engineering: Specializing in the exploration, extraction, drilling, and production of oil and natural gas.
- Telecommunications Engineering: Designing and developing communication systems and radar networks.
- Chemical Engineering: Focusing on the design and operation of chemical industrial processes.
- Aerospace Engineering: Designing and manufacturing aircraft and spacecraft and controlling their systems.
- Agricultural Engineering: Working on modern techniques in agriculture and the environment, improving agricultural production, and increasing green areas.
Most demanded Majors in Turkey (Technological programs)
Significant advancements in recent times have made some engineering and technological specializations more critical than others and are considered future professions. These include
Information Systems: A modern specialization branching from computer engineering that deals with data collection, processing, and transforming it into information to support the administrative processes of organizations and companies.
Network Security: Focused on establishing electronic network data and information protection systems to prevent hacking.
Artificial Intelligence: One of the latest global specializations, it deals with developing computers and robots to simulate human intelligence, enabling them to solve various problems based on previous experiences.
Mechatronics Engineering: A contemporary specialization that combines electrical, mechanical, and computer engineering and focuses on designing and maintaining machines in manufacturing fields.
Energy Systems Engineering: The need for this specialization has grown as traditional energy resources have become exhausted, focusing on renewable energy types and developing projects for their generation.
Genetic Engineering: A modern specialization linked to medical fields, it specializes in designing and manufacturing technologies that deal with genetic material in DNA for diagnosing and treating genetic diseases.
Many international students are interested in studying engineering and technological specializations in Turkey. This is due to the significant development that the Turkish education system has witnessed, enabling it to compete with other advanced countries, especially in the field of engineering. Turkish universities have become equipped with state-of-the-art equipment, laboratories, and modern engineering and technological specialization centers. They also focus on providing practical and professional training for students within companies and factories. Additionally, they attract distinguished faculty members from around the world to provide the best educational experience for their students. Moreover, most private Turkish universities use English as the primary language of instruction for these specializations.
Admission Requirements for Engineering in Private Turkish Universities
Each university sets its admission requirements, but generally, there is no need for specific entrance exams. Students usually need to achieve a minimum GPA of 50-60%. Additionally, students may need to provide proof of language proficiency in the language of instruction for their chosen specialization. If a student doesn’t have language proficiency certification, they may be required to take a language proficiency test. If they cannot achieve the required score in the test, they may need to attend a language preparatory year provided by Turkish universities.
Duration of Engineering and Technological Programs in Turkey
The duration of undergraduate studies in Turkey is typically four years. It may be extended by an additional year for joining a language preparatory school or two more years in most universities for a master’s degree.
Top Private Universities for Studying Engineering and Technological Programs in Turkey
Many private Turkish universities offer internationally accredited degrees in engineering and technology specializations. Here is a list of some of the best private universities that offer instruction in English and their most renowned engineering specializations:
- Istanbul Okan University: Renowned for civil engineering, industrial engineering, computer engineering, mechatronics engineering, and biomedical engineering.
- Istanbul Kultur University: Known for civil engineering, computer engineering, architecture, and genetic engineering.
- Isik University: Notable for civil engineering, electrical engineering, architecture, mechatronics engineering, and biomedical engineering.
- Bahcesehir Istanbul: Specializing in computer engineering, industrial engineering, mechatronics engineering, and genetic engineering.
- Altinbas University: Known for computer engineering and industrial engineering.
- Kadir Has University: Specializing in genetic engineering and energy systems engineering.
Why Choose to Study Engineering and Technological Programs?
Engineering is known as the field of innovation, as engineers don’t just study and analyze but also innovate and build various structures and systems. Engineering relies not only on your understanding of mathematics or physics but also on a variety of skills, such as:
- Analytical and strategic thinking.
- Creativity and innovation to solve problems.
- A continuous desire for learning and self-improvement.
If you possess these skills, you will find great satisfaction in studying and pursuing a career in engineering, as it offers diverse job opportunities accompanied by continuous new challenges.